Students who wish to participate in athletics at RVMS must complete the Athletics Online Paperwork every quarter.
Student-Athlete Code of Conduct & Eligibility
The Privilege of participation in the RVMS athletic program is extended to all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students — provided they are willing to accept the responsibilities required of a student-athlete. If participation numbers exceed our ability to provide meaningful involvement in a particular sport, priority will be given to 7th and 8th grade students.
A student-athlete will (a) display outstanding sportsmanship, both on and off the court/field, (b) demonstrate respect for those in authority (coaches and officials), as well as opponents , (c) use socially acceptable language at all times, (d) display a real spirit of cooperation. Failure to adhere to these social behaviors will result in a parent-athlete-coach conference to determine further action.
In order to represent RVMS in any interscholastic competition, a student must meet all requirements:
- Academically, each student-athlete must maintain a minimum “C” grade point average (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) and at no time have an “F” during an eligibility check.
- Maintain a “Meets” or “Exceeds” rating on the citizenship rubric in all classes.
- Students who receive 2 or more referrals will be dismissed from the team for the remainder o the season.
- Students who receive on In School Suspension or one Out of School Suspension will be dismissed from the team for the remainder of the season.
- Have no more than 3 PRIDE detentions served during one season.
- Have no more than 3 unexcused absences during one season.
- Student-athletes must have a current physical form on file in the RVMS Health Office before participating in any sport — including practices. Physicals are good for one year from the time they are completed.
- Pay a non-refundable, $75.00 activity fee per student per sport, or a $200.00 maximum per student per year, or $400.00 per family involved in RVMS sports per year.
- Fees must be paid in the Front Office by cash or check (payable to RVMS).
- Fees can be paid using AZ Tax Credits (see the RVMS Website for the link/forms). If paid online, please submit a copy of the payment confirmation to the Front Office.
- All fees must be paid within the first week of practices and before the first competition.
- Athletes cannot compete if fees aren’t paid.
- Students and a parent/guardian must review the attached concussion fact sheet and sign the acknowledgment form included in this packet.
Students’ eligibility to participate, using the criteria listed above, is determined each Thursday during the season. Students who are declared ineligible are not able to participate in games or sit with the team during a game. Students may not attend practice while ineligible, instead students may attend tutoring offered by their grade level teachers after school.The week of ineligibility will begin on Friday following the eligibility check and continue until the following Friday. The student will remain ineligible for an entire week until eligibility is checked again the following Thursday. In addition, students who are suspended from school may not participate in nor attend games or practices.
Students who are declared ineligible three times during a given season are dismissed from the team. Students who are ineligible at the start of the intercession will remain ineligible for the remainder of the season if the season ends during the intercession break.
Students who are required to serve the PRIDE on the day of a game or practice must serve the PRIDE first before their sport obligation. Students who owe a PRIDE on the same day his/her team will be traveling to another school for a game will need to attend PRIDE and make other transportation arrangements if he/she still wants to attend the game.
Students are not eligible to practice on the day that a suspension is served. Absences due to suspension are not considered excused. Two unexcused absences will result in the student-athlete being released from the team.
The best performance an individual is capable of producing comes only when the individual is willing to sacrifice his/her time and effort towards a conditioned training program. The student-athlete is, therefore, required to attend all practices. If a student-athlete is unable to attend practice, notice must be given to the coach prior to practice. Failure to give notice will be considered an unexcused absence: Three unexcused absences will result in the student-athlete being released from the team. EXCEPTION: ABSENT FROM SCHOOL THAT DAY
Students who are absent from school may not participate in a game nor practice on the day of an absence. Students who miss a partial day may be declared ineligible if they miss too many instructional minutes.
Quarter 1 Sports Online Paperwork
Sports Physical Forms (submit 1 in hard copy per year)
*Note: Copies are available in the Front Office if you’re unable to print out the physical forms.
RVMS Athletics Scholarship Information & Application
If you have any questions regarding athletics and the required paperwork, please contact Athletic Director Patrick Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or 520-879-3219.